Use Goal Setting To Give You That Little something extra To Break Through!
Is there something you want to achieve? Is there something you've decided it's time to take on?
Goal setting might just be the tool for you...
You can create within yourself... some extra motivation, focus, and concentration... whatever you're challenging right now a little change in focus can make a significant difference!
If you love self-improvement, psychology, words of wisdom, the art of living well, you're in the right place.
No matter what your reality is right now... Maybe you're facing illness, maybe you're wanting to eat better, start jogging, find work, save money, find a relationship...
Whatever your circumstances right now you'll find inspiration and be moved to take wise action here :-)
What you'll find on this page
- Get started and set some goals right now
- When you set goals wisely what you can expect
- What else you can find on this site
Start setting some goals right now
There are two ways to go about setting goals. The first is focusing on something immediate. This can be helpful if you know you want to do something but can't seem to bring yourself to do it.
- Write down something you want to do, or some result you want to see. (e.g. Lose 2kg).
- Write down when you want to do it or see it by. (e.g. Lose 2kg by April 1st). If you are especially busy or unwell be kind to yourself. Words spoken from experience.
- Check that it can be measured so you know when you have completed it (Got scales? Yup).
- Stick it up somewhere you see it every day and can't miss it. Enjoy your new-found motivation which is now on it's way. If you are facing illness or a major challenge too much pressure can be stressful. Bare this in mind and try and set goals that help you move forward a little, steadily. Treat yourself kindly.
The second is thinking in the long term or creating a vision. The motivation created is more subtle but it can help with direction and prioritising, acting as a compass. Here's the gist...
- Write down some things you want to achieve in the future. The final result might be a list of around 10-50 of your personal dreams and wishes. Think through all area's of your life and write down everything that comes to mind. Add to it in the following weeks until you have something you are pleased with. You can use one of these worksheets to walk you through the process.
- Go through your list and write down how many years it might take you to reach each dream next to it. Complete flexibility here. You might write down a 10, 20, or 30 for really huge dreams and perhaps a 1, 3 or a 6 for a medium term dream. There are no wrong answers. It's a very personal thing.
If you start goal setting what's in it for you?
- Achieve more than without - If someone wants to achieve in any field… think Chistiano Ronaldo,
Usain Bolt, Richard Branson... they probably do many things well. One
thing they definitely do is set goals. Without setting goals they would achieve less.
- More decisive - When we're clear about where we’re going it’s easier to decide on the
best action to take. Decision making becomes easier.
- More enthusiasm about the future - I know the whole vision thing might seem a bit ridiculous when you first write it down. BUT, although subtle, it does create a sense of possibility and hope.
- Less Distractions - One cool thing about having some clarity of where you're going is...
Less distractions. It also becomes easier to say “I appreciate the offer
but no thanks” to certain offers. Having more focus on something makes other stuff smaller and more insignificant. Of course this could be good and bad. Finding a nice balance is important.
- More capability - Deciding on goals and a vision for your future suggests you know you are
capable of certain things. Doing this whole goal setting points to a
life of growth (whatever that means to you) and bringing out more of your
capabilities. Over time, you become more capable by setting goals.
Free resources to work through your dreams and goals
You can find resources such as different worksheets and various templates for every kind of goal you're thinking of setting below.
Most popular areas you can set wise goals in
Have you got a goal in mind you want to focus on now? Below are some popular areas that you might want to focus on...
Goal setting articles
We've probably heard it 100 times. But sometimes we all need a quick reminder to jog our memory. Why it all works? How it all works? How to make your goal smart etc etc... You will find articles on all this below.
Thanks for popping by...
Well done for visiting the goal setters dojo and practising hard once again!
Wishing your great success!
Have you had some experience with setting goals you'd like to share?